Monday, April 25, 2005

Franz Lists

Things that have happened in the last 39 hours:

* A security guard with a heavy Dominican accent suddenly whipped my way what he said was a quote from Marxist philosophy:  "You've got to keep moving."

* I began speaking to people using only the vocabulary palette of whole numbers (1, 2, 3...) but inflecting them as if I was actually speaking normally.

* The full moon whacked my third eye.

* I was heading home with my roommate Karl, vocal jamming in those whole numbers, when I met a stranger at the train station.    At the same moment Karl started hanging out with a friend he just bumped into and our paths diverged well into the train ride.   The man I met was a cool musician/teacher, Guy Mendilow, who told me of his studies of Dalcroze Eurhythmics, a style/philosophy/method of 'music' education that involves learning through movement.   We chatted about it for a while, exchanged info, and then he got off at a different stop. When I "rejoined" Karl and his friend we discovered that while we hadn't paid any conscious attention to each other's conversations both group's separate conversations had revolved around Dalcroze Eurhythmics!

* I listened to the sound of an overflowing river.

* I admired the fact that there tons of little white circles from a 3 hole paper punch stuck all over my orange juice carton when I took it out of my bag.

* I drummed for hours and hours and slept very little.

Recent Firsts:

*Discovered a need for eye improvement technology and acquired me some fancy spectacles.

* Played Bach on electric guitar for a Conservatory audience. (A first with my new spectacles.)

* First place in the 3rd heat of the 200 yd. medley relay.  I was the "anchor" beatin' out 3 folks who were in the lead!  It was my first swimming competition since 1998.

* Explored an electric cello.

* Had my first two Spanish lessons.

* Saw a baby girl figure out how to put her hands together for the first time.

Things that have happened in the last 39 days:

* Learned Balinese monkey chant with people from Bali.

* I danced so hard (half-naked with a silver mask lit up by a headlamp) at Sunny Kim's recital that my body was wrecked for three and a half days until I swam again. I've now had more people ask me to dance in their recitals than play an instrument in them!

* I blew bubbles ("bubbles of joy" bubbles) with my little sister Freya. We also had a sweet cuddle.

* I totally rocked out with Eliot Fisk, improvising off of a Leo Brouwer "riff".

* I sent myself a timed message on my phone that told me to hug myself when it went off.

* I met a crazed, drunken homeless man on the bus who ordered me to play guitar in the style of "Bennnnny Goodmannnnah!" And then, "faster, Faster, FASTER!"  He had big cheeks that he would puff up like Dizzy Gillespie from time to time as he egged me on.

* Played a kick ass game of Boggle.

* I've been singing pretty much wherever I go.

1 Comments:

At April 28, 2005 at 12:48 PM, Blogger sanpadros said...

Hey, nice writing! you remind me of a guy i knew at Manhattan Beach who wrote just like you, used to write me all the time. He ended up getting in a terrible motorcyle accedent. Anywho... what is "Liar" talkin about? Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home